It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Saturday, August 2, 2008

Drinking Tea

I am reading through Jan Richardson's In Wisdom's Path published by The Pilgrim Press. This morning I read this poem about drinking tea and realized she was also speaking about eucharist.

I would take
and drink of you,
Vessel of mystery,
bearing within you
potent depths,
containing within you
what quenches
and quickens:

to my sorrow
you offer soothing;
to my despair
you offer desire;
to my complacence,
your challenge;
to my resistance,
your rest.

Be well assured
I am not lulled by you.
There is a bite to your brew
that sets me forever on edge,
a taste that leaves me never slaked;
but with mouth trembling
and thirsty,
I would take
and drink of you.

No comments: