It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Scenes from my Neighborhood

One of the things I have been doing in retirement is serving as a volunteer for Mississippi Reading Service. Once a week, I read the Sun Herald (Biloxi, Gulfport, and South Mississippi). One of my favorite column's is George Thatcher's. He walks along the coast and comments on what he sees. Here's an example:

Scenes from the Beach

I thought about his perceptive, reflective comments as I walked through my neighborhood this morning. I went past a building that has housed several different businesses in the last couple of decades, most recently a technical college. It is empty now but will soon re-open as a Halloween Store. In the big glass windows were models dressed in the Halloween costumes. If I knew how to get photos on my blog, I wouldn't have put any of these on it. When did Halloween morph from being a children's day to get too much candy to a grownup's day of not being too grown up?

No comments: