It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Monday, June 8, 2009

Beginning with a Seed, a Reflection on Mark 4:26-34

It seems to me that I read a lot of articles in religious and popular press about the decline in church membership and attendance. Discouraging.

And then I think about those early Christians, the first hearers of Mark's gospel. What discouragements were they facing? What did the future of the church look like to them?

Their gatherings were as small as mustard seeds. Yet, they did become as great shrubs providing protection.

So, I would like to draw from this parable a parallel--size now does not limit potential.

But, I'm also drawn to the lesson embedded in this passage--that Jesus spoke in parables because his hearers were not ready to learn his meaning. To his disciples, and in private, he explained everything.

Yet, even without understanding, the other hearers became part of the growth of the church? I'm looking back at verses 26-27. The sower of the seem doesn't have to know how the sprouting part works in order for it to work.

No comments: