It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Monday, June 15, 2009

Do you care? a Reflection on Mark 4:35-41

When the storm came up, he was asleep.

They asked him, "Don't you care about us?"

I'm reminded of the many laments in the psalms, how often appears the plea, "O Lord, how long?" And I'm reminded of how any of us feel during those really hard times--how we may wonder if the Lord is paying attention to our needs right now.

The disciples don't trust him. Or, they do trust him, and they want him to be quicker about it. In either case, they don't seem to realize that they themselves have any power to improve their situation.

He calls them on this, "Where's your faith?"

Mark says that after he stilled the storm, the disciples were amazed and asked each other "Who is this guy?"

Have they not been paying attention? I need to remember that I know a lot more of the story than they did this early in Jesus' life. And I need to remember to pay attention.

No comments: