It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Daily Prayer, Saturday, March 10, 2012

Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable to you, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.

Morning
Invitatory Psalm 102
Hear my prayer, O Lord;
let my cry come to you.
Do not hide your face from me
  in the day of my distress.
Incline your ear to me;
answer me speedily in the day when I call.
For my days pass away like smoke,
  and my bones burn like a furnace.
My heart is stricken and withered like grass;
I am too wasted to eat my bread.
Because of my loud groaning
  my bones cling to my skin.
I am like an owl of the wilderness,
  like a little owl of the waste places.
I lie awake; I am like a lonely bird on the housetop.
All day long my enemies taunt me;
those who deride me use my name for a curse.
For I eat ashes like bread,
  and mingle tears with my drink,
because of your indignation and anger;
  for you have lifted me up and thrown me aside.
My days are like an evening shadow;
I wither away like grass.
But you, O Lord, are enthroned forever;
your name endures to all generations.
You will rise up and have compassion on Zion,
  for it is time to favor it;
the appointed time has come.
For your servants hold its stones dear,
  and have pity on its dust.
The nations will fear the name of the Lord,
  and all the kings of the earth your glory.
For the Lord will build up Zion;
he will appear in his glory.
He will regard the prayer of the destitute,
  and will not despise their prayer.
Let this be recorded for a generation to come,
  so that a people yet unborn may praise the Lord:
that he looked down from his holy height,
from heaven the Lord looked at the earth,
to hear the groans of the prisoners,
  to set free those who were doomed to die;
so that the name of the Lord may be declared in Zion,
  and his praise in Jerusalem,
when peoples gather together, and kingdoms,
  to worship the Lord.
He has broken my strength in midcourse;
he has shortened my days.
“O my God,” I say, “do not take me away
  at the mid-point of my life,
  you whose years endure throughout all generations.”
Long ago you laid the foundation of the earth,
  and the heavens are the work of your hands.
They will perish, but you endure;
they will all wear out like a garment.
You change them like clothing, and they pass away;
but you are the same, and your years have no end.
The children of your servants shall live secure;
their offspring shall be established in your presence.

Psalm 50
The mighty one, God the Lord, speaks and summons the earth
   from the rising of the sun to its setting.
Out of Zion, the perfection of beauty, God shines forth.

Our God comes and does not keep silence,
   before him is a devouring fire,
   and a mighty tempest all around him.
He calls to the heavens above and to the earth,
   that he may judge his people:
“Gather to me my faithful ones,
   who made a covenant with me by sacrifice!”
The heavens declare his righteousness,
   for God himself is judge. Selah

“Hear, O my people, and I will speak,
   O Israel, I will testify against you.
   I am God, your God.

Not for your sacrifices do I rebuke you;
   your burnt offerings are continually before me.
I will not accept a bull from your house,
   or goats from your folds.
For every wild animal of the forest is mine,
   the cattle on a thousand hills.
I know all the birds of the air,
   and all that moves in the field is mine.
“If I were hungry, I would not tell you,
   for the world and all that is in it is mine.

Do I eat the flesh of bulls, or drink the blood of goats?
Offer to God a sacrifice of thanksgiving,
   and pay your vows to the Most High.
Call on me in the day of trouble;
   I will deliver you, and you shall glorify me.”

But to the wicked God says:
   “What right have you to recite my statutes,
   or take my covenant on your lips?

For you hate discipline, and you cast my words behind you.
You make friends with a thief when you see one,
   and you keep company with adulterers.
“You give your mouth free rein for evil, and your tongue frames deceit.
You sit and speak against your kin; you slander your own mother’s child.
These things you have done and I have been silent;
   you thought that I was one just like yourself.
But now I rebuke you, and lay the charge before you.

“Mark this, then, you who forget God, or I will tear you apart,
   and there will be no one to deliver.
Those who bring thanksgiving as their sacrifice honor me;
   to those who go the right way I will show the salvation of God.”

Psalm 51
Have mercy on me, O God, according to your steadfast love;
   according to your abundant mercy blot out my transgressions.
Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin.
For I know my transgressions, and my sin is ever before me.

Against you, you alone, have I sinned,
   and done what is evil in your sight,
   so that you are justified in your sentence
   and blameless when you pass judgment.
Indeed, I was born guilty,
   a sinner when my mother conceived me.

You desire truth in the inward being;
   therefore teach me wisdom in my secret heart.
Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean;
   wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
Let me hear joy and gladness;
   let the bones that you have crushed rejoice.
Hide your face from my sins, and blot out all my iniquities.

Create in me a clean heart, O God,
   and put a new and right spirit within me.
Do not cast me away from your presence,
   and do not take your holy spirit from me.
Restore to me the joy of your salvation,
   and sustain in me a willing spirit.
Then I will teach transgressors your ways,
   and sinners will return to you.

Deliver me from bloodshed, O God, O God of my salvation,
   and my tongue will sing aloud of your deliverance.
O Lord, open my lips, and my mouth will declare your praise.
For you have no delight in sacrifice;
   if I were to give a burnt offering, you would not be pleased.
The sacrifice acceptable to God is a broken spirit;
   a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.

Do good to Zion in your good pleasure;
rebuild the walls of Jerusalem,
   then you will delight in right sacrifices,
   in burnt offerings and whole burnt offerings;
   then bulls will be offered on your altar.

Daily Lectionary Reading, Psalm 19

  • Heaven is declaring God’s glory;
  • the sky is proclaiming his handiwork.
  • 2 One day gushes the news to the next,
  • and one night informs another
  • what needs to be known.
  • 3 Of course, there’s no speech, no words—
  • their voices can’t be heard—
  • 4 but their soundk extends
  • throughout the world;
  • their words reach the ends
  • of the earth.
  • God has made a tent in heaven
  • for the sun.
  • 5 The sun is like a groom
  • coming out of his honeymoon suite;
  • like a warrior,
  • it thrills at running its course.
  • 6 It rises in one end of the sky;
  • its circuit is complete at the other.
  • Nothing escapes its heat.
  • 7 The LORD ’s Instruction is perfect,
  • reviving one’s very being.l
  • The LORD ’s laws are faithful,
  • making naive people wise.
  • 8 The LORD ’s regulations are right,
  • gladdening the heart.
  • The LORD ’s commands are pure,
  • giving light to the eyes.
  • 9 Honoring the LORD is correct,
  • lasting forever.
  • The LORD ’s judgments are true.
  • All of these are righteous!
  • 10 They are more desirable than gold—
  • than tons of pure gold!—
  • and they are sweeter than honey—
  • even dripping off the honeycomb!
  • 11 No doubt about it:
  • your servant is enlightened by them;
  • there is great reward in keeping them.
  • 12 But can anyone know
  • what they’ve accidentally done wrong?
  • Clear me of any unknown sin
  • 13 and save your servant
  • from willful sins.
  • Don’t let them rule me.
  • Then I’ll be completely blameless;
  • I’ll be innocent of great wrongdoing.
  • 14 Let the words of my mouth
  • and the meditations of my heart
  • be pleasing to you,
  • LORD , my rock and my redeemer.
_________________________________________________
k  LXX, Vulg, Sym; MT line or string
l  Or soul
[Common English Bible]

Prayer for Today: O God, open our eyes to see your glory. Open our lips to declare your praise. We are grateful for the guidance you have given us for right living. Keep us to the path you have set for us. Amen.


Evening
Psalm 75
We give thanks to you, O God; we give thanks; your name is near.
People tell of your wondrous deeds.
At the set time that I appoint I will judge with equity.
When the earth totters, with all its inhabitants, it is I who keep its pillars steady. Selah

I say to the boastful, “Do not boast,”
   and to the wicked, “Do not lift up your horn;
   do not lift up your horn on high, or speak with insolent neck.”

For not from the east or from the west and not from the wilderness comes lifting up;
but it is God who executes judgment, putting down one and lifting up another.

For in the hand of the Lord there is a cup with foaming wine, well mixed;
he will pour a draught from it, and all the wicked of the earth shall drain it down to the dregs.

But I will rejoice forever;
I will sing praises to the God of Jacob.
All the horns of the wicked I will cut off,
   but the horns of the righteous shall be exalted.

Psalm 77
I cry aloud to God, aloud to God, that he may hear me.
In the day of my trouble I seek the Lord;
in the night my hand is stretched out without wearying;
my soul refuses to be comforted.
I think of God, and I moan;
I meditate, and my spirit faints. Selah

You keep my eyelids from closing;
I am so troubled that I cannot speak.
I consider the days of old, and remember the years of long ago.
I commune with my heart in the night;
I meditate and search my spirit:
“Will the Lord spurn forever, and never again be favorable?
Has his steadfast love ceased forever?
Are his promises at an end for all time?
Has God forgotten to be gracious?
Has he in anger shut up his compassion?” Selah

And I say, “It is my grief that
   the right hand of the Most High has changed.”
I will call to mind the deeds of the Lord;
I will remember your wonders of old.
I will meditate on all your work,
   and muse on your mighty deeds.

Your way, O God, is holy.
What god is so great as our God?
You are the God who works wonders;
you have displayed your might among the peoples.
With your strong arm you redeemed your people, 
the descendants of Jacob and Joseph. Selah

When the waters saw you, O God, when the waters saw you,
   they were afraid; the very deep trembled.
The clouds poured out water; the skies thundered;
   your arrows flashed on every side.
The crash of your thunder was in the whirlwind;
your lightnings lit up the world;
the earth trembled and shook.
Your way was through the sea,
   your path, through the mighty waters;
   yet your footprints were unseen.
You led your people like a flock
   by the hand of Moses and Aaron.

No comments: