It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Prayer for Joy, a Reflection on Psalm 90:12-17

"Satisfy us at daybreak with Your steadfast love that we may sing for joy all our days" (Ps 90:14 NRSV translation).

I'm reading "daybreak" both literally and metaphorically.

Literally, because for me, early morning is when I usually have my daily devotional--partly because then I have the rest of the day to reflect on what I've read or prayed.

Metaphorically, because it's not only at literal sunup that the light can come on for us. Other events can illuminate things for us--wise words from wise people as well as sudden realizations that hit us.

I love the last prayer of this psalm "O prosper the work of our hands!" (NRSV translation) because it serves as a reminder to me that I am part of God's work on earth.

No comments: