It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Friday, October 12, 2012

Reflection on Job 23:1-9, 16-17

Job's friend has accused him of great wickedness--of overextending credit to people beyond what they can pay back and then stripping them of their remaining assets" (22:1-11). The friend then counsels Job to try to get closer to God and to do what God wants, "If you pray, God will listen" (22:21-30).


Job responds "If, only. I've been praying. I've been asking God why that I have been punished this way. but I can't seem to find him. He's not anywhere that I've looked."

In the verses omitted in this week's lectionary passage, Job further responds to his friend's attack by asserting, "I've done what God wants. I've never sinned." (10-12).

Job is ready to give up, "I'd just like to vanish."

Yet, even in this, Job says, "Still I’m not annihilated by darkness;
he has hidden deep darkness from me."

Side note: My daughter-in-law participated in a Kerygma study on Job at her church. Although I am very Methodist and Kerygma is Presbyterian, I was favorably impressed with the Job and the Life of Faith.

The Methodist Series, Disciple Bible Study, offers Under the Tree of Life which focuses on the books of wisdom in the Old Testament and the Johannine literature in the New.

No comments: