It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Monday, December 1, 2014

Reflection on the One-Year-Bible readings for December 1

In my distress, I cry to the Lord
(Psalm 120:1a)

Daniel 8:1-27
This chapter of Daniel relates a vision of what was happening and was going to happen in his country in his time. We can read about it as an interesting part of history when someone heard from God what was coming. And, we can read about it and reflect on what God is doing in our world and what we can anticipate God to do next.

Daniel's homeland had been overrun by powerful foes. He recognizes that the punishment is to some extent deserved. His people had not been doing what they should have. Daniel now expresses his mourning, "How long must we continue to suffer?" In the vision, the angel Gabriel tells him it will be a long time but that release will come.

1 John 2:1-17
Jesus Christ has shown us how to live our lives. The proof that we know him is found in how we live our lives. Love each other. Don't be distracted by possessions.

Psalm 120:1-7
A prayer when someone is slandering you.

Proverbs 28:25-26
The greedy person stirs up strife,
but whoever trusts in the Lord will be enriched.
Those who trust in their own wits are fools;
but those who walk in wisdom come through safely.

Prayer for Today: O Lord, direct our attention to the sufferings of people around me. Point out to me ways that I can show your love through my own life. Focus my attention on that love and help me not to be distracted by less important needs. Amen.

No comments: