It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Saturday, December 27, 2014

Reflection of the One-Year-Bible readings for December 27

I will praise the Lord as long as I live; 
I will sing praises to my God all my life along.
(Psalm 146:2)

Zechariah 10:1-11:17
God will show compassion to the people who have suffered because of poor leadership.

Revelation 18:1-24
The rich will be punished for their mistreatment of the poor.

Psalm 146:1-10
Every once in a while I hear someone say to somebody who has just gotten something great, "That shows that God really loves you." And, sometimes, I read Psalm 146 and wonder.

This psalm begins by acclaiming praise for God and disdaining trust in powerful men. They won't last. God will.

According to this psalm, God cares about the oppressed, the hungry, prisoners, the blind, immigrants, orphans, and widows.

Jesus lived out this psalm. How is the church doing?

Proverbs 30:33
For as pressing milk produces curds, 
and pressing the nose produces blood, 
so pressing anger produces strife.

Prayer for Today: God, you have shown compassion to us. Instill in us the will to extend your compassion to the oppressed, the hungry, prisoners, the blind, immigrants, orphans, and widows. Amen.

No comments: