It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Reflection on the One-Year-Bible readings for December 17

O give thanks to the Lord.
You are good and 
your steadfast love endures forever.
(adapted from Psalm 136:1)

Nahum 1:1-3:19
A reassuring message: God has the will and ability to handle our enemies. And a troubling one: the enemy is depicted as a sinful woman whose punishment will be rape.

Revelation 8:1-13
Woe is coming.

Psalm 136:1-26
While I was distracted thinking about something else, God was over and over doing good things for me, providing protection, smoothing out my path, rescuing me. Over and over. God's steadfast love endures forever. My attention should occur at least sometimes.

Proverbs 30:7-9
Two things I ask of you;
do not deny them to me before I die:
Remove far from me falsehood and lying;
give me neither poverty nor riches;
feed me with the food that I need, 
or I shall be full, and deny you, 
and say, "Who is the Lord?"
or I shall be poor, and steal, 
and profane the name of God.

Prayer for Today: Read Psalm 136 again and give thanks for the steadfast love that God has offered in your life.

No comments: