It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Daily Prayer, Sunday, July 31, 2011

Hear a just cause, O Lord; attend to my cry; give ear to my prayer from lips free of deceit.

Morning
Invitatory Psalm 24

The earth is the Lord’s and all that is in it, the world, and those who live in it.

You have founded it on the seas and established it on the rivers.

Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord?
And who shall stand in your holy place?
...

Lift up your heads, O gates!
and be lifted up, O ancient doors!
that the King of glory may come in.
Who is the King of glory?
The Lord, strong and mighty,
the Lord, mighty in battle.

Who is this King of glory?
the Lord of hosts,
You are the King of glory.



Psalms 52, 53, 54

Daily Lectionary Reading, Romans 9:1-5
1 I am speaking the truth in Christ--I am not lying; my conscience confirms it by the Holy Spirit--2 I have great sorrow and unceasing anguish in my heart. 3 For I could wish that I myself were accursed and cut off from Christ for the sake of my own people, my kindred according to the flesh. 4 They are Israelites, and to them belong the adoption, the glory, the covenants, the giving of the law, the worship, and the promises; 5 to them belong the patriarchs, and from them, according to the flesh, comes the Messiah, who is over all, God blessed forever. Amen.




Prayer for Today:

Document date:  1.01.1991

Prayer for Peace

The following prayer authored by Christian, Jewish and Muslim clergy was used in many places in inter-religious worships around the time of the Gulf War in 1991:

Eternal God, Creator of the universe, there is no God but You. 
Great and wonderful are Your works, wondrous are your ways. 
Thank You for the many splendoured variety of Your creation. 
Thank You for the many ways we affirm Your presence and purpose, 
and the freedom to do so. 
Forgive our violation of Your creation. 
Forgive our violence toward each other. 
We stand in awe and gratitude for Your persistent love 
for each and all of Your children:
Christian, Jew, Muslim, 
as well as those with other faiths. 
Grant to all and our leaders attributes of the strong; 
mutual respect in words and deed, 
restraint in the exercise of power, and 
the will for peace with justice, for all. 
Eternal God, Creator of the universe, there is no God but You. Amen.
(Excerpted from Current Dialogue 24/93, p.36) Source: World Council of Churches http://bit.ly/nXU1YJ


Evening
Psalms 78, 79, 83, 86

No comments: