It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Friday, December 13, 2013

Daily Prayer, Friday, December 13, 2013

My soul magnifies the Lord,
and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior
(Luke 1:46b-47)


Morning

Invitatory Psalm

Psalm 118

We give thanks to you, God,
   for you are good;
your steadfast love endures forever!
….
With God on my side I do not fear.
….
This is the gate of the Lord;
   the righteous shall enter through it,
….

Psalms 76, 80

Daily Lectionary Reading, Psalm 146:5-10
5 The person whose help is the God of Jacob— the person whose hope rests on the Lord their God— is truly happy! 6 God: the maker of heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, God: who is faithful forever, 7 who gives justice to people who are oppressed, who gives bread to people who are starving! The Lord: who frees prisoners. 8 The Lord: who makes the blind see. The Lord: who straightens up those who are bent low. The Lord: who loves the righteous. 9 The Lord: who protects immigrants, who helps orphans and widows, but who makes the way of the wicked twist and turn! 10 The Lord will rule forever! Zion, your God will rule from one generation to the next! Praise the Lord!
[Common English Bible]

Prayer for Today: choose a prayer from Joan Stott's website Timeless Psalms

Midday Psalm 119:121-128
I have done what is just and right;
   do not leave me to my oppressors.
Guarantee your servant’s well-being;
   do not let the godless oppress me.
My eyes fail from watching for your salvation,
   and for the fulfillment of your righteous promise.
Deal with your servant according to your steadfast love,
   and teach me your statutes.
I am your servant; give me understanding,
 so that I may know your decrees.
It is time for the Lord to act,
   for your law has been broken.
Truly I love your commandments more than gold,
   more than fine gold.
Truly I direct my steps by all your precepts;
I hate every false way.

Evening
Psalm 106

No comments: