It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Accepting Blessings, Expressing Gratitude, a Reflection on Luke 1:47-50

Mary responds to Elizabeth’s good news and her own with a song of praise. Like Hannah before her (see 1 Samuel 2:1-10), Mary begins by praising God: “My soul magnifies the Lord, my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. From now on, all generations will call me blessed because of what God has done for me.”

The lectionary this week offers an alternative response to the reading from 1 Samuel: Psalm 89:1-4, 19-26. Mary's response in Luke echoes David's in Psalms:
I will sing of your steadfast love, O Lord, forever; with my mouth I will proclaim your faithfulness to all generations.....
Listen to yourself today. Are your words a song of praise to what God has done?

Lectio Divina: Psalm 89:1-4

No comments: