It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Friday, December 23, 2011

Daily Prayer, Friday, December 23, 2011

O sing to the Lord a new song.
Morning


Invitatory Psalm 118
O Lord, we give thanks to to you, for you are good;
your steadfast love endures forever!
….
Out of my distress I called on the Lord;
the Lord answered me and set me in a broad place.
With the Lord on my side I do not fear.
What can mortals do to me?
….
Open to me the gates of righteousness,
that I may enter through them
and give thanks to the Lord.
This is the gate of the Lord;
the righteous shall enter through it.

Psalms 76, 80


Daily Lectionary Reading, Isaiah 52:7-10 (Christmas)
7 How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of a messenger who proclaims peace, who brings good news, who proclaims salvation, who says to Zion, “Your God rules!” 8 Listen! Your lookouts lift their voice; they sing out together! Right before their eyes they see the LORD returning to Zion. 9 Break into song together, you ruins of Jerusalem! The LORD has comforted his people and has redeemed Jerusalem. 10 The LORD has bared his holy arm in view of all the nations; all the ends of the earth have seen our God’s victory. [Common English Bible]


Prayer for Today: O Lord, we give you thanks for sending your messenger to us, and we give you thanks for the message. You intend for us to have peace, to work for peace, to share peace. In times of pain or loss, we remember your promises and your gifts. Amen.


Midday Psalm 119:121-128
121 I have done what is just and right; do not leave me to my oppressors.
122 Guarantee your servant’s well-being; do not let the godless oppress me.
123 My eyes fail from watching for your salvation, and for the fulfillment of your righteous promise.
124 Deal with your servant according to your steadfast love, and teach me your statutes.
125 I am your servant; give me understanding, so that I may know your decrees.
126 It is time for the Lord to act, for your law has been broken.
127 Truly I love your commandments more than gold, more than fine gold.
128 Truly I direct my steps by all your precepts; I hate every false way.

Evening
Psalm 106

No comments: