It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Daily Prayer, Saturday, December 17, 2011

Here am I, the servant of the Lord; let it be with me according to your word.



Morning
Invitatory Psalm 67
God, be gracious to us and bless us
and make your face to shine upon us,
that your way may be known upon earth,
your saving power among all nations.
Let the peoples praise you, O God;
let all the peoples praise you.

Let the nations be glad and sing for joy,
for you judge the peoples with equity
and guide the nations upon earth.
Let the peoples praise you, O God;
let all the peoples praise you.

The earth has yielded its increase;
God, our God, has blessed us.
May God continue to bless us;
let all the ends of the earth revere you.




Psalms 50, 51



Daily Lectionary Reading, 2 Samuel 7:1-11, 16
When the king was settled in his palace, and the LORD had given him rest from all his surrounding enemies, 2 the king said to the prophet Nathan, “ Look! I’m living in a cedar palace, but God’s chest is housed in a tent! ” 3 Nathan said to the king, “ Go ahead and do whatever you are thinking, because the LORD is with you. ” 4 But that very night the LORD ’s word came to Nathan: 5 Go to my servant David and tell him: This is what the LORD says: You are not the one to build the temple for me to live in. 6 In fact, I haven’t lived in a temple from the day I brought Israel out of Egypt until now. Instead, I have been traveling around in a tent and in a dwelling. 7 Throughout my traveling around with the Israelites, did I ever ask any of Israel’s tribal leaders I appointed to shepherd my people: Why haven’t you built me a cedar temple? 8 So then, say this to my servant David: This is what the LORD of heavenly forces says: I took you from the pasture, from following the flock, to be leader over my people Israel. 9 I’ve been with you wherever you’ve gone, and I’ve eliminated all your enemies before you. Now I will make your name great—like the name of the greatest people on earth. 10 I’m going to provide a place for my people Israel, and plant them so that they may live there and no longer be disturbed. Cruel people will no longer trouble them, as they had been earlier, 11 when I appointed judges over my people Israel. And I will give you rest from all your enemies. 16 Your dynasty and your kingdom will be secured forever before me. Your throne will be established forever. [Common English Bible]


Today's Prayer: Holy God, in reverent awe we gather to praise and bless you for your generous promises for the future of your people. We especially thank you for the relationship of trust that you have established between yourself and your own people— those children of every age, babes, middle-aged and the old. We give thanks that you have always raised up leaders to guide and bless your people, and that your wonderful promises remain true in every circumstance of the lives of your people. Amen (from Timeless Psalms http://bit.ly/vps87j. If used in shared worship, please provide an acknowledgement as follows: © 2011 Joan Stott – "The Timeless Psalms" RCL Psalm Year B, used with permission.)


Evening

Psalm 75
We give thanks to you, O God; we give thanks; your name is near.
People tell of your wondrous deeds.
At the set time that I appoint I will judge with equity.
When the earth totters, with all its inhabitants, it is I who keep its pillars steady. Selah

I say to the boastful, “Do not boast,”
   and to the wicked, “Do not lift up your horn;
   do not lift up your horn on high, or speak with insolent neck.”

For not from the east or from the west and not from the wilderness comes lifting up;
but it is God who executes judgment, putting down one and lifting up another.

For in the hand of the Lord there is a cup with foaming wine, well mixed;
he will pour a draught from it, and all the wicked of the earth shall drain it down to the dregs.

But I will rejoice forever;
I will sing praises to the God of Jacob.
All the horns of the wicked I will cut off,
   but the horns of the righteous shall be exalted.


Psalm 77
I cry aloud to God, aloud to God, that he may hear me.
In the day of my trouble I seek the Lord;
in the night my hand is stretched out without wearying;
my soul refuses to be comforted.
I think of God, and I moan;
I meditate, and my spirit faints. Selah

You keep my eyelids from closing;
I am so troubled that I cannot speak.
I consider the days of old, and remember the years of long ago.
I commune with my heart in the night;
I meditate and search my spirit:
“Will the Lord spurn forever, and never again be favorable?
Has his steadfast love ceased forever?
Are his promises at an end for all time?
Has God forgotten to be gracious?
Has he in anger shut up his compassion?” Selah

And I say, “It is my grief that
   the right hand of the Most High has changed.”
I will call to mind the deeds of the Lord;
I will remember your wonders of old.
I will meditate on all your work,
   and muse on your mighty deeds.

Your way, O God, is holy.
What god is so great as our God?
You are the God who works wonders;
you have displayed your might among the peoples.
With your strong arm you redeemed your people, the descendants of Jacob and Joseph. Selah

When the waters saw you, O God, when the waters saw you,
   they were afraid; the very deep trembled.
The clouds poured out water; the skies thundered;
   your arrows flashed on every side.
The crash of your thunder was in the whirlwind;
   your lightnings lit up the world; the earth trembled and shook.
Your way was through the sea, your path, through the mighty waters;
   yet your footprints were unseen.

You led your people like a flock by the hand of Moses and Aaron.

No comments: