It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Contrasts, Reflection on 2 Peter 3:13-15

We're still waiting. We live in a world that is still suffering from the same old misdeeds and lack of trust. We see a lot of examples of unrighteousness, of injustice. We're still waiting.

And while we are waiting, we are told to strive to be found at peace.

Think about this command. First, strive. We aren't supposed to be sitting here idle just complaining that things aren't what we want or expect them to be. We're participants. We're told to strive. Second, be found. As "strive" sounds active, "be found" sounds passive. I'm remembering now the lost pearl, the 100th sheep, the wedding guests found out on the street.

Advent--waiting for what we have already had. Strive and be found--working for and being given.

I'm struck by the "But" at the beginning of verse 13. Then I realize that verses 8 and 10 also begin with "but." A lot of contrasts in this section. I'm not going anywhere with this observation, but (see, I do it, too) I think it's important.

Lectio Divina: 2 Peter 3:13-15

No comments: