It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Saturday, March 5, 2011

This Is My Son, a Reflection on 2 Peter 1:16-18

Peter is writing to people who are already in the church, not to potential converts. And, in this congregation are some who have been challenging him. Peter's defense is not based on what he terms "cleverly devised myths." Modern congregants may be able to come up with some examples of how factions have arisen and on what they base their points of view.

Peter centers his standing on his eyewitness of the Transfiguration.

We didn't get to go with Peter and the others up on the mountain top that day.

But, we can hear what God had to say that day, "This is my Son, my Beloved, with whom I am well pleased."

In our disagreements inside the church--outside it, too?--we need to return to that message. We can see what God wants to be done by viewing and contemplating what Jesus did.

No comments: