It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Self-defense, a Reflection on Psalm 26:1-8

Psalm 26 gives us words to assert .... Here's where I had trouble. I started to say our "righteousness" (a word in the heading for the psalm in the Bible I was using (NRSV). But that word carries the connotation of "self-righeousness," so I tried "innocence," but that wasn't quite what the psalm was asserting. I'm settling on "deservedness, " although it isn't actually a word.

The prayer begins with a request for vindication coupled with the assertion that I deserve it--my integrity--and that the Lord can be trusted.

That request and that assurance are repeated and that deservedness are repeated.

The reasons for the verdict are expounded: I don't associate with the worthless, with hypocrites, evildoers, or the wicked. (I might have to skip this verse if I were praying honestly. Partly it would depend on what "worthless" meant. Moreover, how would I actually avoid all hypocrites? Am I overanalyzing?)

The psalm, having asked for a trial, given reasons for a good verdict, then expresses the love for going to the place of worship.


No comments: