It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Book Review from the New York Times

Janet Maslin reviews A Place Called Canterbury, by Dudley Clendinen, and Leisureville, by Andrew D. Blechman in the Mary 22, 2008 issue. Both books are about retirement communities in Florida. I am struck by her comment provoked by Blechman's work:

"They (retirement communities) separate people from art, culture, politics, and any sense of responsibility."

I read this on a day that I am reflecting on the passage from Matthew. What am I concerned about? What should I be concerned about? I'm looking at this from two levels. First, how much of a sense of responsibility do I have? Have I arranged my life so as to separate myself from community responsibility as much as possible? Second, more to the purpose of the books that were reviewed, in what way do I care about the people who can no longer live in their own homes? Have I forgotten them?

No comments: