It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Friday, May 30, 2008

Living with Our Choices, Reflections on Mt 7:21-29 and Dt 11:18-28

In the Matthew passage, Jesus says that some of us will not make it into heaven. Actually, he says into the kingdom of heaven. So, I pause and think about the distinction between these two destinations. When I say heaven, I mean somewhere else; that is, I mean after I'm dead. But, is that what I am supposed to get from Jesus' words? Does kingdom of heaven mean that "Heaven-rules rule"? I am remembering Jesus' prayer in the chapter right before this one, "Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven."

I am helped by reading the Deuteronomy text. Moses is preparing his people for life in the land given to them by God. "Remember what I have taught you. These teachings will enable you to enjoy life."

No comments: