It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

More thoughts about the earthquake in China

I read Beth Richardson's article on the Upper Room website, "Caring without Numbing," http://www.upperroom.org/comfort/article_caring.asp. I recommend this article and anything else that she has written.

Here's the first paragraph, "The earth seems to in great chaos -- shootings, wars, earthquakes, hurricanes, cyclones, tornadoes. As we follow story after story of heartbreaking disaster, I wonder: "How can I continue to see, to hear, to read about these tragedies of human life? How can the aid workers continue to do their tasks as they hear the stories, see the losses, attempt to respond to the incredible needs? How can the survivors reach out to others when they have lost so much? How do they do it? And how did Jesus continue to care for people, day after day after day?""

She points out how Jesus dealt with disaster: 1) He took action. 2) He prayed. 3) He took time apart.

My concern is that we skip step 1 and spend too much time on step 3.

No comments: