It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Psalms for when you have been treated poorly

When we have been mistreated by other people, we can turn to the psalms for help in expressing our pain. Here's a listing of some of the psalms of lament. I've included the opening verse of some of them, but don't stop with the first verse.

3, O Lord, how many are my foes! Many are rising against me.
4, Answer me when I call, O God of my right! You gave me room when I was in distress. Be gracious to me, and hear my prayer.
7, O Lord my God, in you I take refuge; save me from all my pursuers, and deliver me.
31, In you, O Lord, I seek refuge; do not let me ever be put to shame; in your righteousness deliver me.
35, Contend, O Lord, with those who contend with me; fight against those who fight against me!
37, Do not fret because of the wicked; do not be envious of wrongdoers.
43, Vindicate me, O God, and defend my cause against an ungodly people; from those who are deceitful and unjust deliver me!
54, Save me, O God, by your name, and vindicate me by your might!
56, 69, 70, 71, 140, 142

No comments: