It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Daily Prayer, Thursday, June 27, 2013

I cry aloud to God, 
aloud to God, 
that he may hear me.


Morning
Invitatory Psalm 150
Praise the Lord!

We praise you in your sanctuary;
we praise you in your mighty firmament!
We praise you for your mighty deeds;
We praise you according to your surpassing greatness!
We praise you with trumpet sound;
We praise you with tambourine and dance;
We praise you with strings and pipe!
We praise you with clanging cymbals;
We praise you with loud clashing cymbals!
Let everything that breathes praise the Lord!
Praise the Lord!


Daily Lectionary Reading, 2 Kings 2:1-2, 6-14
Now the LORD was going to take Elijah up to heaven in a windstorm, and Elijah and Elisha were leaving Gilgal. 2 Elijah said to Elisha, “ Stay here, because the LORD has sent me to Bethel. ” But Elisha said, “ As the LORD lives and as you live, I won’t leave you. ” So they went down to Bethel.... 6 Elijah said to Elisha, “ Stay here, because the LORD has sent me to the Jordan. ” But Elisha said, “ As the LORD lives and as you live, I won’t leave you. ” So both of them went on together. 7 Fifty members from the group of prophets also went along, but they stood at a distance. Both Elijah and Elisha stood beside the Jordan River. 8 Elijah then took his coat, rolled it up, and hit the water. Then the water was divided in two! Both of them crossed over on dry ground. 9 When they had crossed, Elijah said to Elisha, “ What do you want me to do for you before I’m taken away from you? ” Elisha said, “ Let me have twice your spirit. ” 10 Elijah said, “ You’ve made a difficult request. If you can see me when I’m taken from you, then it will be yours. If you don’t see me, it won’t happen. ” [Common English Bible]

Prayer for Today: Lord, we give you thanks for all those wise and caring people that you have sent to lead us. Inspire us now to be able to continue their work in this world. Amen.

Lectio Divina, 2 Kings 2:11-14

Midday Psalm 119:113-120

Evening
Psalm 105

No comments: