It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Friday, September 20, 2013

Daily Prayer, Friday, September 20, 2013

Help us, O God of our salvation,
for the glory of your name;
deliver us, and forgive our sins,
for your name’s sake. (Psalm 79:9)


Morning
Invitatory Psalm
Psalm 118

Psalms 76, 80

Daily Lectionary Reading, Jeremiah 8:14-9:1
14 Why are we sitting here? Come, let’s go to the fortified towns and meet our doom there. The Lord our God has doomed us by giving us poisoned water to drink, because we have sinned against the Lord! 15 We longed for relief, but received none; for a time of healing, but found only terror. 16 The snorting of their horses can be heard as far as Dan; the neighing of their stallions makes the whole land tremble. They come to devour the land and everything in it, towns and people alike. 17 See, I’m sending serpents against you, vipers that you can’t charm, and they will bite you, declares the Lord. 18 No healing, only grief; my heart is broken. 19 Listen to the weeping of my people all across the land: “Isn’t the Lord in Zion? Is her king no longer there?” Why then did they anger me with their images, with pointless foreign gods? 20 “The harvest is past, the summer has ended, yet we aren’t saved.” 21 Because my people are crushed, I am crushed; darkness and despair overwhelm me. What to do with God’s people 22 Is there no balm in Gilead? Is there no physician there? Why then have my people not been restored to health?

9:1 If only my head were a spring of water, and my eyes a fountain of tears, I would weep day and night for the wounds of my people.
[Common English Bible]

Prayer for today: God, we confess that we have sinned against you. We admit that our actions have brought on the consequences that are now a burden to us. Will you forgive us? Amen

Midday Psalm 119:121-128

Evening
Psalm 106

No comments: