It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Daily Prayer, Tuesday, September 24, 2013

I will praise the Lord as long as I live;
I will sing praises to my God all my life long. [Psalm 146:2]


Morning
Invitatory Psalm 84
How lovely is your dwelling place,
LORD of heavenly forces!
2 My very being longs, even yearns,
for the LORD ’s courtyards.
My heart and my body
will rejoice out loud to the living God!
3 Yes, the sparrow too has found a home there;
the swallow has found herself a nest
where she can lay her young beside your altars,
LORD of heavenly forces, my king, my God!
4 Those who live in your house are truly happy;
they praise you constantly. Selah
….
9 Look at our shield, God;
pay close attention to the face of your anointed one!
10 Better is a single day in your courtyards
than a thousand days anywhere else!
I would prefer to stand outside the entrance of my God’s house
than live comfortably in the tents of the wicked!
11 The LORD is a sun and shield;
God is favor and glory.
The LORD gives—doesn’t withhold!—good things
to those who walk with integrity.
12 LORD of heavenly forces,
those who trust in you are truly happy!
[Common English Bible]

Psalm 97

Psalm 98
Psalm 99

Psalm 101
 
Daily Lectionary Reading, Amos 6:1a, 4-7
Doom to those resting comfortably in Zion and those trusting in Mount Samaria, ... 4 who lie on beds of ivory, stretch out on their couches, eat lambs from the flock, and bull calves from the stall; 5 who sing idle songs to the sound of the harp, and, like David, compose tunes on musical instruments; 6 who drink bowls of wine, put the best of oils on themselves, but who aren’t grieved over the ruin of Joseph! 7 Therefore, they will now be the first to be taken away, and the feast of those who lounged at the table will pass away. [Common English Bible]

Prayer for Today: God, prod us out of comfort, idleness, and indifference. Amen.

Midday Psalm 119:137-152

Evening
Psalm 115

Psalm 116

Psalm 117

No comments: