It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Monday, October 21, 2013

Daily Prayer, Monday, October 21, 2013

How lovely is your dwelling place, 
O Lord of hosts!
My soul longs, indeed it faints
for the courts of the Lord;
my heart and my flesh sing for joy
to the living God (Psalm 84:1-2).


Morning  
Invitatory Psalm 95
O come, let us sing to the Lord;
let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation!
Let us come into his presence with thanksgiving;
let us make a joyful noise to him with songs of praise!

For the Lord is a great God, and a great King above all gods.
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also.
The sea is his, for he made it, and the dry land, which his hands have formed.

O come, let us worship and bow down,
let us kneel before the Lord, our Maker!
For he is our God,
and we are the people of his pasture,
and the sheep of his hand.
O that today you would listen to his voice!
...

Psalm 94
Psalm 96

Daily Lectionary Reading, Luke 18:9-14
9 Jesus told this parable to certain people who had convinced themselves that they were righteous and who looked on everyone else with disgust: 10 “Two people went up to the temple to pray. One was a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood and prayed about himself with these words, ‘God, I thank you that I’m not like everyone else—crooks, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week. I give a tenth of everything I receive.’ 13 But the tax collector stood at a distance. He wouldn’t even lift his eyes to look toward heaven. Rather, he struck his chest and said, ‘God, show mercy to me, a sinner.’ 14 I tell you, this person went down to his home justified rather than the Pharisee. All who lift themselves up will be brought low, and those who make themselves low will be lifted up.” [Common English Bible]

Prayer for Today: God, humble us so that we won't live in self-righteousness. Open us to see the love for you and from you in others. Amen.

Midday Psalm 119:129-136
129Your decrees are wonderful; therefore my soul keeps them.
130The unfolding of your words gives light; it imparts understanding to the simple.
131With open mouth I pant, because I long for your commandments.
132Turn to me and be gracious to me, as is your custom toward those who love your name.

133Keep my steps steady according to your promise, and never let iniquity have dominion over me.
134Redeem me from human oppression, that I may keep your precepts.

135Make your face shine upon your servant, and teach me your statutes.
136My eyes shed streams of tears because your law is not kept.


Evening
Psalm 110
Psalm 112
Psalm 113
Psalm 114

No comments: