It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Daily Prayer, Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Even the sparrow finds a home,
    and the swallow a nest for herself,
    where she may lay her young, at your altars, 
O Lord of hosts, my KIng and my God.
(Psalm 84:3)


Morning
Invitatory Psalm 84
How lovely is your dwelling place,
LORD of heavenly forces!
2 My very being longs, even yearns,
for the LORD ’s courtyards.
My heart and my body
will rejoice out loud to the living God!
3 Yes, the sparrow too has found a home there;
the swallow has found herself a nest
where she can lay her young beside your altars,
LORD of heavenly forces, my king, my God!
4 Those who live in your house are truly happy;
they praise you constantly. Selah
….
9 Look at our shield, God;
pay close attention to the face of your anointed one!
10 Better is a single day in your courtyards
than a thousand days anywhere else!
I would prefer to stand outside the entrance of my God’s house
than live comfortably in the tents of the wicked!
11 The LORD is a sun and shield;
God is favor and glory.
The LORD gives—doesn’t withhold!—good things
to those who walk with integrity.
12 LORD of heavenly forces,
those who trust in you are truly happy!
[Common English Bible]

Psalm 97

Psalm 98
Psalm 99

Psalm 101
 
Daily Lectionary Reading, Sirach 35:14-20
14 Don’t offer a bribe, because the Lord won’t accept it. 15 Don’t present an unrighteous sacrifice, because the Lord is a judge, and he shows no partiality. 16 God will not be partial to the poor, but he will listen to the complaint of those who are wronged. 17 God will never ignore an orphan’s plea, nor that of a widow when she pours out a complaint. 18 Don’t a widow’s tears fall down on her cheek, 19 and isn’t her plea against the one who caused her tears? 20 Those who serve with goodwill will be accepted, and their prayer will reach to the clouds. [Common English Bible]

Prayer for Today: Lord, strengthen us to carry out your will for us--to care for the poor and the needed. Amen.

Midday Psalm 119:137-152
You are righteous, O Lord, and your judgments are right.
You have appointed your decrees in righteousness and in all faithfulness.
My zeal consumes me because my foes forget your words.
Your promise is well tried, and your servant loves it.
I am small and despised, yet I do not forget your precepts.

Your righteousness is an everlasting righteousness, and your law is the truth.
Trouble and anguish have come upon me, but your commandments are my delight.
Your decrees are righteous forever; give me understanding that I may live.

With my whole heart I cry; answer me, O Lord. I will keep your statutes.
I cry to you; save me, that I may observe your decrees.
I rise before dawn and cry for help; I put my hope in your words.
My eyes are awake before each watch of the night, that I may meditate on your promise.
In your steadfast love hear my voice; O Lord, in your justice preserve my life.
Those who persecute me with evil purpose draw near; they are far from your law.
Yet you are near, O Lord, and all your commandments are true.
Long ago I learned from your decrees that you have established them forever.

Evening
Psalm 115

Psalm 116

Psalm 117

No comments: