It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Daily Prayer, Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Happy are those who live in your house,
    ever singing your praise (Psalm 84:4).


Morning
Invitatory Psalm 100
Shout triumphantly to the LORD, all the earth!
2 Serve the LORD with celebration!
Come before him with shouts of joy!
3 Know that the LORD is God—
he made us; we belong to him.
We are his people,
the sheep of his own pasture.
4 Enter his gates with thanks;
enter his courtyards with praise!
Thank him! Bless his name!
5 Because the LORD is good,
his loyal love lasts forever;
his faithfulness lasts generation after generation.
[Common English Bible]

Psalm 120, 121, 122, 123, 124

Daily Lectionary Reading, Jeremiah 14:7-10, 14-22
7 Even though our sins testify against us,
    help us, Lord, for your name’s sake.
We have turned away from you
    and sinned against you time and again.
8 You are the hope of Israel,
    its savior in times of trouble.
Why are you like a stranger in the land,
    like a tourist spending only the night?
9 Why are you like one taken by surprise,
    like a warrior unable to act?
Yet you are in our midst, Lord;
    we are called by your name.
    Don’t give up on us.

10 This is what the Lord proclaims about this people:
Since they have loved to wander off
    and haven’t restrained themselves,
        I won’t accept them.
Now I will recall their wrongdoing
    and punish their sin.
....

14 Then the Lord said to me: The prophets are telling lies in my name. I haven’t sent them. I haven’t commanded them. I haven’t spoken to them. They are prophesying to you false visions, worthless predictions, and deceit they have made up on their own. 15 Therefore, this is what the Lord proclaims concerning the prophets who are speaking in my name when I didn’t send them, and who are telling you that war or famine will never come to this land: Those very prophets will die in war and by famine! 16 And the people they are prophesying to will be thrown into the streets of Jerusalem, victims of famine and war. There will be no one to bury them or their wives and children. I will pour out on them their own wickedness.

17 So deliver this word to them:
My eyes well up with tears;
    I can’t stop weeping—day and night,
    because my virgin daughter, my people,
        has suffered a crushing blow
        and is mortally wounded.
18 If I go into the fields,
    I see only the slain in battle.
If I enter the city,
    I see only those suffering from famine.
Even both prophet and priest
    wander about aimlessly in ignorance.
19 Have you completely rejected Judah?
    Do you hate Zion?
        Why then have you mortally wounded us?
We look for peace,
        but nothing good comes of it;
    for a time of healing,
        only to be terrorized.
20 We acknowledge our sin, Lord,
    the wrongdoing of our ancestors,
        because we have sinned against you.
21 For your name’s sake, don’t reject us,
    don’t scorn your glorious throne.
Remember your covenant with us;
    don’t break it.
22 Can any of the false gods of the nations make it rain?
    Can the sky by itself bring showers?
Aren’t you the Lord, our God?
    You are our hope,

        since only you can do such things.
[Common English Bible]

Prayer for Today: O Lord, our God, we acknowledge our sin; we have turned away from your commands, we have ignored your presence, we have sought solace and directions from other sources. We ask now for your forgiveness. Take us back. Amen.

Midday Psalm 119:153-160
Look on my misery and rescue me, for I do not forget your law.
Plead my cause and redeem me; give me life according to your promise.
Salvation is far from the wicked, for they do not seek your statutes.
Great is your mercy, O Lord; give me life according to your justice.
Many are my persecutors and my adversaries, yet I do not swerve from your decrees.
I look at the faithless with disgust, because they do not keep your commands.
Consider how I love your precepts; preserve my life according to your steadfast love.
The sum of your word is truth; and every one of your righteous ordinances endures forever.

Evening
Psalm 130

No comments: