It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Monday, February 21, 2011

What Are You Worried About? a Reflection on Matthew 6:24-26

I read in Stanley Haurewas' Commentary on Matthew: Trust is a witness to God's care for creation. God has given us more than we need.

But, I do worry. Or, should I say--I choose to worry. I look around me and can see the riches that God has lavished on our earth, and what do I think? Do I think, "How grateful I am that God has provided all this"? Or, do I think, "Will there be enough for me?" And, of course, when we worry about getting enough, we are really worrying about getting much more than enough.

Jesus said to his disciples, "No one can serve two masters." Either I put my efforts and thoughts and cares into what God intends, or I focus on my own needs to the neglect of anyone else's.

No comments: