It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Baptism of the Lord, a Reflection on Matthew 3:13-17

I'm looking at Gospel Parallels (Thomas Nelson Publishers, edited by Burton H. Throckmorton, Jr.).

Luke doesn't specify that it was John who baptized Jesus. Mark doesn't report any discussion between Jesus and John. Both are ambiguous on whether anyone other than Jesus could hear the voice from heaven saying "Thou art my beloved Son...."

Matthew, on the other hand, includes discussion between Jesus and John before the baptism. That is, John didn't think he should do it, "I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?" Jesus insisted, saying it would fulfill all righteousness.

Allen & Williamson, in their Preaching the Gospels, point out that:
Matthew has been concerned from the very beginning of his Gospel with celebrating those whose behavior fulfills a higher righteousness His genealogy lifts up instances of higher righteousness: Tamar, Rahab, Uriah, Ruth. Joseph manifested the higher righteousness, married Mary.... Trusting in status and rank being full of oneself in matters of faith, counts for nothing in Matthew's eyes. What counts is morally responsible actions [My reminder--read Matthew 25:31-46 for example.]

When Jesus came out of the water after having been baptized, Matthew, like Mark and Luke, says that the heavens were opened and the Spirit descended on him like a dove. Unlike them, though, Matthew has the voice speaking to the crowd, "This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased."

No comments: