It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Shelter, a Reflection on Psalm 27:1, 4-5

This week's lesson from Isaiah speaks of the joy of a people who have been brought back home. Its inclusion during this period after Epiphany was probably affected by the explicit references of the great light shining of people who walked in darkness.

The psalm chosen as a response is an affirmation of the Lord, asserting that the Lord is my light, and also talks about return. In the psalm, the return is to the house of the Lord--the word temple is used explicitly.

John H. Hayes, in Preaching through the Christian Year A, cautions us not to confuse this temple talk as alluding to heaven some day. The psalmist is talking about a rescue here on earth:
That a fugitive could take refuge in the sanctuary is evident in Deuteronomy 16:1-13....

We can read these verses and consider the comfort we find in the church. Yes, I'm talking about the building here. But, I'm talking about more than a building. The presence of God accompanies us as we travel through our travails. We can seek shelter in days of trouble. We can expect protection--I'm struck right now by the image of being put up high on a rock, far above all the troubles below. (Yes, I know I can't stay up there, but some days, I do need that image.)

No comments: