It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Called, a Reflection on 1 Corinthians 1:1-9

This is the first in a series of seven readings from 1 Corinthians. Don't try to relate each week epistle reading to the themes of the other readings. They may or may not have similar themes.

Saying that, I still see some relationship between the Gospel reading telling us about John telling us. Also, I am reminded of Isaiah's call, "I will give you as a light to the nations, that my salvation may reach to the ends of the earth," when I read Paul's words to the Corinthians about being called to be an apostle, I notice that he specifically says that call extends to "all those who in every place call on the name of our Lord Jesus, Christ, both their Lord and ours."

Paul is thankful for the Corinthians, thankful that the testimony of Christ has been strengthened within them, thankful for their spiritual gifts. I'm trying to imagine what Paul would be thankful for if he visited each of our congregations. Do our speech and knowledge show how we have been enriched in Christ? What do we think of when someone says "enriched" anyway? Are we exhibiting spiritual gifts?

Another question that arises for me when I read Paul's letter is that he says that all people are called to be saints--not just the paid Christians, all. Who does the work of Christ in your congregation?

No comments: