It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Daily prayer for Holy Saturday, April 23, 2011

Morning
Merciful and everliving God, Creator of heaven and earth, the crucified body of your Son was laid in the tomb and rested on this holy day. Grant that we may await with him the dawning of the third day and rise in newness of life, through Jesus Christ our Redeemer. Amen (UMBOW 367).

Invitatory Psalm 67

Psalms 141, 146

Daily Lectionary Reading, Job 14:1-14; Psalm 31:1-4, 15-16; 1 Peter 4:1-8; Matthew 27:57-66

Lectio Divina
Since therefore Christ suffered in the flesh, arm yourselves also with the same intention (for whoever has suffered in the flesh has finished with sin), so as to live for the rest of your earthly life no longer by human desires but by the will of God (1 Peter 4:1-2).

Incline your ear to me; rescue me speedily. Be a rock of refuge for me a strong fortress to save me. You are indeed my rock and my fortress; for your name's sake lead me and guide me (Psalm 31:2-3).

Prayers for Today:

O God, whose face shines upon us, we offer the prayers we carry deep in our hearts that those who need deliverance may know your steadfast love and salvation....

Merciful God, release us from the time of trial and oppression, that we may witness to the eternal hope of grief becoming joy and life rising from death. Amen.

Eternal God, rock and refuge... we wait for revival and release. Abide with us until we come alive in the sunrise of your glory. Amen.

(from RCL Prayers, Fortress Press).

Evening
Psalms 140, 142, 143

No comments: