It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

I Need to See for Myself, a Reflection on John 20:24-28

The risen Christ had appeared to Mary, but the disciples had still been to afraid to leave their locked room. Jesus came to where they were. Belief that will overcome fear is not automatic.

The disciples who had seen Jesus believed, but Thomas hadn't been there the day Jesus had shown up. "I need to see for myself. I've got to put my finger on the spot where the nails were," he told them.

A week later, Jesus appeared to Thomas. "Touch me. Do not doubt but believe."

Although it's not clear from the text whether Thomas actually did have to touch Jesus before he could believe what he was seeing, it is clear that Thomas does recognize him. When Jesus tells him not to doubt but to believe, that is what Thomas does. He responds to the presence and words of Jesus by saying, "My Lord and my God!"

No comments: