It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Monday, April 11, 2011

Palm or Passion or Both?

We are reading toward the Sunday that carries the rather contradictory descriptors of Palm/Passion. In my childhood, we didn't have many (any?) services during the week. We met for worship only on Sundays. As I remember it, we celebrated Palm Sunday on the week before Easter. So, we went from the celebration of the welcome of Jesus into Jerusalem to the next Sunday of celebrating his resurrection.

We skipped the Passion part. Now, many churches have worship services every Wednesday, and this week add Thursday and Friday. Does anyone other than Catholics have the Vigil on Saturday?

I am choosing to use all the scriptures for palm and passion in my daily lectionary. Revise the schedule as fits into your own congregational emphasis and your needs this year.

No comments: