It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Promise to the Church, a Reflection on John 14:8-14

Jesus has promised them a home with him in God's house and a way to get there. Philip still needs to be shown.

Jesus responds, "How can you say, 'Show us the Father'? The words that I say to you show you the Father. The works I do show you the Father."

"Anyone who believes in me will also do the works that I do and, in fact, will do greater work than these, because I am going to the Father."

Jesus then makes another promise, "I will do whatever you ask in my name."

This promise is to the church rather than to individual petitioners, that is, the "you" in this verse is plural, not singular. Jesus is talking to them about how they can continue God's work on earth, not how they can collect prizes for themselves.

No comments: